How Do You Play Taboo?
Taboo is a verbal game played with two teams of three players or more, a deck of guess cards with a set of taboo words, and a battery operated buzzer.
Cards are placed in the card holder and Team A selects a person in their group to be the Clue-giver. This person takes the card holder and places the first card away from his team so that they cannot see it.
Clue cards have the clue word on the top of the card and the taboo words listed below the clue word. Clue-givers then start and keep the timer and must get their team to say the guess-word on the card.
- Clue-givers may not use any taboo words, including abbreviations and any part of the taboo word.
- Clue-givers may not use sound effects or use gestures to indicate the guess word.
- Clue-givers may pass on any card at any time, but the card is then placed in the discard pile.
If a taboo word is used then Team B must sound the buzzer which penalizes Team A by causing the current guess card to go into the discard pile.
Play is continued until time runs out. Each time a teammate successfully guesses a clue-word, a new card is placed upon the old and each card in this pile represents one point for Team A.
Every card put upon another in the card holder represents one point for Team A.
Every card put on the discard pile represents one point for Team B.
The final card in play when time runs out is worth no points for either team.
At the end of each round points are counted for each team, the winner is the team with the most points.
Katy Perry and Ellen play Taboo
Katy: Every day you put this on… first.
Katy: Great! Eeem, it’s something that you do to attract another person when you first meet them. It’s a… a…
Ellen: Drop money on the ground?!
Katy: No, I’m.. You… You are… You are… like someone is very… with the other person
Katy: OK! What’s the first word?
Katy: Thanks! Em, this, em „Yeah we danced on tabletops..” Em, well, it’s in my song! Em.. It’s something you do in a.. like a beach.. at night.
Taboo words Katy uses which you might not know:
- bra – a piece of women’s underwear that supports the breasts – biustonosz
- panties – women’s and girls’ underpants – figi
- lingerie – women’s underwear – bielizna
- to tease – to excite someone in w sexy way – podniecać, drażnić
- to wink – to close one eye for a short time as a way of greeting someone or showing friendliness, sexual interest, etc. – puszczać oko
- skinny-dip – to swim while naked – pływać bez ubrania
- nude – not wearing any clothes – nagi
- naked – not covered by clothes – nagi
- verbal – słowny
- a deck- talia
- a set – zestaw
- a buzzer – brzęczyk
- a clue-giver – osoba dająca wskazówki
- a card holder – podstawka na karty
- a guess word – słowo do odgadnięcia
- an abbreviation – skrót
- to indicate – wskazywać
- to penalize – ukarać
- a discard pile – stos odrzuconych kart
- a teammate – członek zespołu
Source: hasbro.com & youtube.com & howdoyouplayit.com