First of all, it’s a big mistake to believe that you shouldn’t eat immediately after you finish your training. The best thing for your body is to eat as soon as you finish a training. Don’t wait too long – your body will store the food as fat feeds your muscles.
It’s recommended to have a small meal 30-60 minutes after a training. This period of time is called „the golden hour” when active muscles are most inclined to receive the nutrients from the food you consume and compensate for the lost energy.
Eating too much and eating the wrong food after exercise is an unwanted result – many people are very hungry after the training.
If possible, you should feed your body with 50% of the calories you’ve spent when doing a physical activity, which means that if you have burned 600 calories during exercise, you should consume 300 calories right after exercise.
The food should contain protein and vitamin A that will help your muscles to recover.
WHAT TO EAT AFTER EXERCISE:
- carrots and carrot juice;
- dried fruits, such as apricots;
- red peppers;
- eggs and toasted whole-grain bread;
- yoghurt with fruit;
- milkshake or banana shake;
- low-fat chocolate milk;
In an hour of exercise, your body will lose about 4 cups of water. This is why it is necessary to consume fluids. Try to drink 500-600ml of water immediately after training. If you’re sweating more than normal or if your’re exercising when the weather is hot, you lose electrolytes and minerals. It’s a good idea to drink sports drinks to compensate for electrolytes.
- to store – to put or keep things in a special place for use in the future – gromadzić
- to feed – to give food to a person, or animal – karmić
- to be inclined – wanting to do something – być skłonnym do czegoś
- a nutrient – any substance that animals need to eat to live and grow – składnik odżywczy
- an apricot – a small, soft, orange fruit – morela
- whole-grain bread – bread full of grains – chleb pełnoziarnisty
- tuna – a large sea fish, or the meat from this fish – tuńczyk
- pre-workout – before training – przed treningiem
- fluid – a liquid – płyn
- to sweat – to produce liquid through your skin because you are hot or nervous – pocić się